Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mumbaian Holi

Let me sum it up.....


Around 9:30AM, I got the knock in my door by the kids from the society. I was dragged down and was drenched with colours. There was an arrangement of music, continous water in a hose pipe, and 3Kg of colors (look like organic ones) .

For some time, I watched the kids play..........

I found the elderly(s) of the society gathered on an anonymous flat on the construction site. I was also called there. I just went there to have a look on what's happening........ 5 bottles of blender's pride, 2 bottles of rum and countless number of beer....... at 10:00 in the morning........

Some one said, these are the substitutes of Bhang in the north.

However, I escaped in to the kids....... There were few ladies watching the dance and celebration from the corner. I don't find them playing at all. It's more enjoyable with the kids than to have the drunkyards speaking politics around........ They also came down later and displayed a grumpy dance.

About Noon (12:00), the all of them resigned....... and slowly left the place. As the place was about to become empty, the ladies occupied the place and started holi......... they played for one hour or so and left...........

Whatsoever, the celebration was rejuvenating.........

4 comments:

Rima Kaur said...

drinking business in broad daylight! sad that some people need alcohol to have fun. i get drunk on happiness.

so you had a good holi!

Razigan said...

Yeah!! had a good holi...

There are many people who has lot of personal inhibitions. They need a peg or two, to start dancing in public or do any public activity......

Drinking makes them get over their shyness....

Jagjit said...

Had the same experience. Was my first holi in bombay. hehe, not very loud as north indian holi... :) but quite nice still.

Rush said...

i miss my holi days in Bombay..shahid kapoor was our next door neighbor and the fun we had during our holis..the drinks, the dance, the colorwashes ..ur post take me back